Connect with us

insights

2 Years After, Otodogbame Still Await Lagos State Government’s Obedience to Court Ruling

Like Nathaliel Hawthorne did say of time, it flies over us, but leaves its shadow behind and such can be said of Otodogbame residents who are awaiting justice for more than two years after the Lagos High Court delivered its judgement that the government has failed to comply with it as the affected people remain displaced.

With a song of victory in the Ogu language, their women and children could not contain their joy as they danced and sang to Justice Adeniyi Onigbanjo’s ruling on June 21st 2017 which ruled that the forced eviction of tens of thousands of people from the Otodogbame waterfront slum was unconstitutional.

The judge also ruled that the rights of those evicted had been violated as there was no resettlement plan in place hence they should be compensated as well.

Two years down the line, the government has shown no sign of hope on complying with the ruling either leaving these people homeless and displaced.

In a chat with Premium Times, one of those evicted, Elijah Atinkpo, revealed that “both the compensation and resettlement orders have been ignored by the government.”

Mr Atinkpo now lives around Yaba-Akoka axis of Lagos where he helps with advocacy on the need to seek justice for the evictees while pursuing other career-related concerns.

He told the newspaper that due to poor access to justice, the evictees are now scattered across crowded communities in Lagos, living in misery.

These evictees are now scattered across Isale Ijebu, Okera Nla, Okera Kekere, Ijoyi, Badore, and Sangotedo – all in Ajah axis of the state.

Other communities include Ladeba, Bayeku, Oreta, and Ofin in Ikorodu/Epe axis; Sogunro, Oko-agbon, Makoko, and Ago-Egun in Iwaya/Yaba axis; Sangokoji and Lekki Shoreline in Lekki axis as well as Ibiye area of Badagry axis.

The first major demolition occurred in the early hours of November 9, 2016, when some boys with reported ties to the Elegushi chieftaincy family entered the community and set fire to houses.

The destruction occurred a day after a Lagos court ordered the state government to immediately suspend its planned demolition of shanties.

It was barely a week after the state house of assembly appealed to former Governor Akinwunmi Ambode to reconsider his demolition plans.

Earlier, on October 9, 2016, the government had announced plans to demolish shanties, as part of a state-wide policy to clear up to 300,000 people from informal waterside settlements.

The Justice and Empowerment Initiative, a group that has been canvassing for justice for those affected by the evictions, said about 800 homes were torched in the November attack and about 10,000 people rendered homeless.

READ  Full List of Lagos State House of Assembly Chairman on Committees

According to Amnesty International, witnesses said some residents drowned in the nearby Lagoon as they ran to safety amid the chaos.

Earlier in December 2014, Otodogbame community went to court against the Elegushi family.

This development marked the beginning of the tension between the Elegushi family and the government on one hand, and the community on the other hand.

By November 2015, the community again went to court against the Elegushi family and the Lagos State Government on land matter.

The Elegushi, an ancient royal family that has ruled over the area known as Ikate since 1606, has long claimed ownership of the land occupied by the Otodogbame evictees.

The court case was followed by a peaceful protest staged in March 2016, in reaction to dredging activities affecting their homes.

On October 18, 2016, Otodogbame and 14 other waterfront communities approached the court to enjoin the government to stop its demolition threat.

Weeks after, on November 7, the Lagos State High Court issued an injunction against the demolition of the waterfront.

But two days after the court injunction, between November 9 and 10, the government forcibly began the eviction, in contravention of court order.

On January 26, 2017, the Lagos State High Court issued an interim ruling pronouncing the eviction as “cruel, inhuman and degrading…”

The court also ordered that the government must maintain status quo while going through court-ordered mediation with waterfront residents.

Two months later on March 17, 2017, the government demolished the rebuilt part of the community, rendering scores homeless and violating court-ordered mediation exercise.

By March 21, the Military, Mobile Police, Lagos Task Force and other government forces returned to continue the demolition, amidst tears and cries.

The next day, a protest was staged by women in the community and rather than compelete the demolition, the government forces retreated.

But around 6 a.m. on April 9, 2017, without prior notice, the Task Force again invaded Otodogbame, setting the remaining houses on fire.

They also chased residents in boats deep into the lagoon by shooting teargas and bullets. Unconfirmed reports said an evictee was shot dead and thousands were finally rendered homeless.

The April eviction attracted scathing criticisms from rights activists and international bodies, with many calling on the government to cater to the needs of the people and respect court orders. Amidst pressure, the government promised to resettle the evictees.

After months of failed promises, in November 2017, the people stormed Lagos House in Alausa, Ikeja to protest the delay in their resettlement.

READ  Badagry's Economic Liberation is Near - Babatunde Hunpe

In his reaction then, the former Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Relations, Seye Oladejo, said the government was aware of the peoples’ pains and would ameliorate their plight.

When PREMIUM TIMES spoke to residents living in crowded slums, they said nothing had come out of the promise, two years afterward.

In May 2018, to hasten the course of justice, evictees staged a rally and appealed to the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Enoch Adeboye, to help appeal to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, a lawyer.

During the rally, a letter was delivered to the RCCG church in Oyingbo area of Lagos and many of the evictees said they were members of the church. Nothing came out of the move.

Megan Chapman, the co-director of JEI, told PREMIUM TIMES that the government claimed that it appealed the June 2017 judgement that rendered its eviction “unconstitutional”.

No date was ever fixed for the hearing of the appeal, she added. Ms Chapman, who has been overseeing the legal issues, said it was a ploy to delay the course of justice and frustrate the case.

Meanwhile, as access to justice remains problematic for evicted residents of Otodogbame, many of the evictees are living in pain and sorrow.

Last year, PREMIUM TIMES captured how the evictees were living in crowded Lagos slums. The report showed that many of the children had been evicted from school as their parents wallowed in poverty.

Kunnu Paul, who now squats in one of the communities around Badore area of Ajah, told PREMIUM TIMES that life has been horrible since the eviction.

“When the Otodogbame eviction occurred, they destroyed my school building worth N300,000,” he said. “I have never recovered from the shock.”

Mr Kunnu now lives in an uncompleted building together with his wife and daughter, he explained. “I am finding it difficult to gather things back,” he said.

Same was the situation with Dansu Hunpe, another evictee who now resides in Okera Nla, as well as many others in the various communities across the state.

Similarly, for Nasu Abdulaziz, things have not been the same since the eviction.

Abdulaziz now lives in one of the communities in Oreta area of Ikorodu while he struggles through school at a digital design academy. He told PREMIUM TIMES that it has been difficult to live and study.

On April 9, Otodogbame evictees held a rally in commemoration of the 2017 eviction, Mr Elijah told this newspaper. They also used the occasion to request an expedited hearing of the government’s purported appeal of the court ruling, he added.

READ  LASU Gets Ultra Modern Reception Centre from LIRS

“We have gone to the courts several times… but justice still remains elusive. It’s frustrating,” Mr Kunnu said. He explained that his experience has shown that, in Nigeria, getting justice is quite difficult for the common man.

PREMIUM TIMES efforts to reach the Lagos State government for its position on the long-running case proved abortive.

When this newspaper telephoned the state commissioner for information, Gbenga Omotoso, earlier in the week, he told our reporter that he is still new on the job and would need more information.

He later requested that a text message be sent to him detailing the inquiry. A text message was promptly sent to him which he acknowledged and told our reporter that he would reply later.

Several hours afterward, this reporter reached out to him yet again and he promised to reach out to the state Attorney General and get back to our reporter. When contacted again, the commissioner said that the Attorney General said he would get back to him. “We are new, you know,” he told PREMIUM TIMES in a text message. “My apologies”.

More than 48 hours afterward, PREMIUM TIMES is yet to receive a response from the commissioner.

Ms Chapman told PREMIUM TIMES that the request by lawyers to ensure the speedy hearing of the case has yielded poor result due to delay.

According to her, the new time fixed for the hearing is September/October 2020. She expressed worry over the development and lamented the state justice system in the country.

Rasheed Shittu, a paralegal officer and activist, told PREMIUM TIMES that access to justice remains a daunting challenge in the Nigerian justice system, especially if it involves the poor.

Mr Shittu has helped in the area of advocacy and sensitisation in the Otodogbame case. “It is really pathetic,” he said of the experience thus far.

On his part, the Executive Director of Human and Development Agenda (HEDA), Lanre Suraj, told PREMIUM TIMES that “Lagos is notorious for eviction of its citizens in different parts of the state”.

“The case of Otodogbame is not different from what has been Lagos State relationship with its citizens,” he said. “For you to get justice… it is extremely difficult.”

Original Article found here in Premium Times

Total Page Visits: 171 - Today Page Visits: 1
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

insights

The Legality of the “Lockdown” Order of President Muhammadu Buhari of 29th March 2020, as a Result of the Pandemic COVID-19, Otherwise Called Corona Virus

I have read and heard many arguments for and against the Order of Mr President declaring “Lockdown” or restrictions in movement in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja.

It is an established fact that Corona Virus is a world pandemic which is presently threatening the world over.

It is also an established fact, that no cure or vaccine has been found for the Virus, which now infects people at geometric progression, with devastating health effect, sometimes leading to death of the victims.

It is also a known fact, that most Countries in the world are on a shut down, with orders against movement and assembly of people, except for necessary services and products. This has brought to the fore, the Human Rights arguments of the restrictive orders.

Firstly, I must say without any form of equivocation that the President of Nigeria is eminently qualified, empowered and authorised to issue a restrictive order in whatsoever name it might be called, as long as the Order/Regulations is in line with the Powers given to him under the Quarantine Act, LFN 2004. Section 3 of the Act specifically empowers the President to declare any place as an infected area; which the President has done by declaring a lockdown in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun. It can however be argued that the number of Corona Virus cases recorded so far, does not warrant such order.

READ  Badagry's Economic Liberation is Near - Babatunde Hunpe

It is my submission that Corona Virus according to Health Workers, takes 14days to be evident in the body, thus if everybody is allowed to move freely without restrictions, the rate of infection will grow out of proportion.

Furthermore, it is being argued that the Order of the President was made without recourse to the National Assembly. Again this argument lacks substance.

Section 4 of the Quarantine Act gives the President the prerogative to prescribe steps to be taken within Nigeria, to prevent the spread of any infection or disease.

In exercising this power, the President in my humble opinion does not need the approval of any person or persons before he can make such Regulations.

In furtherance of the above arguments, assuming that the President declared a State of Emergency by virtue of the provision of Section 305, subsection 3(e) of the 1999 Constitution as Amended.

The President is still covered by the provision of the Law , as long as he complies and follows the procedures laid down in Section 305, subsection 1 and 2.

READ  Reps take delivery of exotic cars, begin distribution

Nigeria is a signatory to most International Treaties and Charters on Human Rights, including but not limited to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights which was ratified by Nigeria on the 29th of July 1993.

Article 4 of this Covenant specifically makes provision for derogation of rights in some instances when such derogatotion is in the interests of Public safety, Public Health, etc.

This provision is in consonance and pari-materia with Section 45 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as Amended.

It is therefore my humble conclusion that , the President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria acted within the ambit of the Law and with the utmost interest of Nigerians at heart, by ordering for a restriction of movement (lockdown), in other to curtail the world threatening Pandemic.

It is however my passionate appeal, that the few privileged individuals in the community or society, should as a matter of humanity provide basic needs and foods for the less-privileged within their communities.

READ  Mathew Kukah: Nigeria is not Worth Dieing For

God Bless Badagry,

God Bless Lagos State,

God Bless Nigeria.

MEDEMAKU Abayomi Noah, is a Master (LLM) Student in International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at the European University, Frankfurt Oder, Germany.

He was also a House of Representatives Candidate of the Young Progressives Party (YPP), in the February 2019, General Election in Nigeria.

Email: legalluminary1@gmail.com.

Total Page Visits: 171 - Today Page Visits: 1
Continue Reading

insights

How Dr. Vladimir Zelenko Treated 699 COVID-19 Patients with 100% success

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, a board-certified family practitioner in New York has now treated 699 Covid-19 patients with 100% success using Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Zinc and Z-Pak an antibiotic to treat secondary infections, and zinc sulfate.

Dr. Zelenko said he saw the symptom of shortness of breath resolved within four to six hours after treatment.

All symptoms of shortness of breath resolved within 4-6 hours.

Dr. Zelenko said the whole treatment costs only $20 over a period of 5 days with 100% success. He defines success as “Not to die.”

He had first posted his Facebook video message last week calling on President Trump to “advise the country that they should be taking this medication.”

Kansas City area physicians, including Joe Brewer, Dan Hinthorn and Jeff Colyer, who served as governor of Kansas, 2018-19 are also reported to have treated many patients, and some have shown improvements.

See a video of his latest interview explaining the success of the treatment below:

READ  Port Harcourt Serial Killer: "I Will Scatter Your Phone if you Snap me again"

Total Page Visits: 171 - Today Page Visits: 1
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Ads

Trending

x