The Kano state government dethroned Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll on Monday over disrespect to the office of the governor and other government agencies. Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll, who was named the new emir of Kano in June 2014, spent 5 years, 6 months and 26 days on the throne.
Before his appointment as the emir, Sanusi ll served as the central bank governor. He raised accusations of high-level fraud and corruption within the Nigeria’s petroleum industry, alleging that $20bn (£12bn) in oil revenue was missing.
The governor of the state has been at loggerhead with Emir Sanusi II, leading to the creation of additional four new emirates in the state and several probes by both the state lawmakers and Kano anti-graft commission.
Below is a timeline of the crisis Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll has been involved in:
- February 20th, 2014: Sanusi Lamido Sanusi got suspended as the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria after his fraud claim, by the then President Goodluck Jonathan.
- February 25th, 2014: Sanusi sued Former President Goodluck Jonathan over his removal as head of the CBN.
- June 9th, 2014: Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll was named the new emir of Kano after the demise of his predecessor, Al-Haji Ado Bayero who ruled since 1963.
- June 10th 2014: Security operatives allegedly ordered by Former President Goodluck Jonathan, sealed off the Emir’s palace which forced Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll, to remain in the government house in ‘President Naseer Lodge’ to receive all the personalities that trooped to congratulate him.
- June 12th 2014: Goodluck Jonathan reopened the Kano Emir’s Palace after top Northern elders mounted pressure on him and drew his attention to the dangers of keeping the palace sealed indefinitely.
- May 8th, 2019: Governor Abdullahi Ganduje signed into law a bill for the creation of four new emirates, all of which used to be districts under the Kano Emirate Council.
- June 6th, 2019: The Kano state government issued a query to Sanusi ll and four other staff of the Kano Emirate council for the misappropriation of N3.4 billion.
- June 7th, 2019: A reconciliation meeting was organised by Governor Fayemi and Alhaji Aliko Dangote with the governor and emir in attendance. It was later revealed they did not reconcile.
- June 8th, 2019: Sanusi ll responded to a query revealing that he met only N1.8 billion in the emirate’s coffers when he ascended the throne, after the death of the former Emir, Alhaji Ado Bayero.
- December 3rd, 2019: Governor Umar Ganduje signed the new Kano Emirates Bill into law.
- December 22nd, 2019: The Northern Elders Forum launched a peace mission with the aim to end the prolonged misunderstanding between Governor Ganduje and Mallam Sanusi II.
- January 31st 2020: The Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission launched a fresh probe against the emir over allegation of N2.2 billion land scam belonging to the emirate.
- February 21st, 2020: A Federal High Court in Kano quashed the preliminary report by the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-corruption Commission seeking the suspension of Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll.
- March 5th, 2020: The Kano State House of Assembly launched a fresh probe against Mallam Muhammadu Sanusi ll, over alleged violation of ‘‘some Hausa norms, culture and traditions’’.
- March 6th, 2020: A Federal High Court in Kano restrained Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission from investigating Sanusi ll.
- March 9th 2020: Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammadu Sanusi ll was dethroned over disrespect to the office of the governor and other government agencies
– Daily Trust