Nigerian writer and social commentator, Reno Omokri, who is a former media aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan has debunked reports that his former boss would soon declare to run for the 2023 presidential elections.
Reports had earlier emerged that Jonathan, whose poster surfaced in some parts of the country recently, would soon join the presidential race.
The former president had while addressing his supporters who protested at his Abuja residence asking him to declare, said he “can’t tell” whether to run yet, asking them to be on the lookout.
Meanwhile, a post by Reno Omokri on his official Facebook page on Sunday urged Nigerians to a comment by the Arise TV’s “The Morning Show” presenter, Reuben Abati that Jonathan would soon declare.
According to Reno, the former Nigerian leader has not made such a statement, saying it was the imagination of the journalist.
He said, “Disregard the news credited to Reuben Abati that former President Jonathan will soon declare. He never made any statement like that. At best, it is a figment of the imagination of that journalist #FakeNews!”
Disregard the news credited to @abati1990 that former President Jonathan will soon declare. He never made any statement like that. At best, it is a figment of the imagination of that journalist #FakeNews!#TableShaker
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) April 24, 2022