The Federal Government of Nigeria has granted amnesty to 2,600 inmates at the Correctional centres across the country.
The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, made this known during a press conference.
The affected inmates includes:
- Inmates that are 60 years and above
- Those suffering from ill-health likely to terminate in death
- Convicts serving 3 years and above and have less than 6 months to serve
- Inmate with mental issues
- Inmates with option of fine not exceeding ₦50,000
41 Federal inmates and 29 FCT inmates making a total of 70 inmates who met the above criteria will however be released today from the Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja.
This amnesty does not apply to inmates sentenced for violent extreme offences such as terrorism, kidnapping, armed banditry, rape, human trafficking, culpable homicide and so on.
The Governors of the 36 states under whose jurisdiction most of the inmates were incarcerated are expected to complete the exercise in line with the federal principle.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings