Femi Ogunrombi aka Papa Ajasco in the popular Papa Ajasco and Company comedy series has passed on.
He is reported to have died at about 7:30p.m on Saturday evening.
Ogunrombi, well-known for his part in the Wale Adenuga’s comedy series was announced dead by journalist and theatre professional Shaibu Husseini.
Here are a brief biography about Papa Ajasco:
1. He was an actor, singer and trained nurse. As at the time of writing this, his age is not confirmed yet.
2. The ethnomusicologist was also a former music instructor with the National Troupe before becoming a one time stand in for the ‘Papa Ajasco’ character on the popular Wale Adenuga Productions Comic Series.
3. Femi Ogunrombi took over the character, Papa Ajasco when the former character, Abiodun Ayoyinka pulled out of the show and he carried on with the role while it lasted.
4. He studied music and drama at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife in the early eighties after his secondary school at Adventist Grammar School, Ede, Nigeria.
5. He founded and conducted a Choral group called The Ayoro Voices. This group was the cultural image of the University between 1980 and 1983 respectively.
6. He left the government in 1998 to pursue his own music business and served as the Art Consultant to different State governments around the country, such as
– The Lagos State’s Council for Arts and Culture 1999 to 2002, under Chief Mrs Idowu Shonubi.
– Ekiti State Council for Arts and Culture, 2014, under Mrs Yetunde Fosudo,
– Cross River State Council for Arts and Culture, under, Late Bassey Effiong.
7. He is a recipient of many local and international awards, most notably in 1995 when he was awarded a gold plaque and a Diploma Certificate in Creative Composition in North Korea for performing a song in that language.
It was one of Prof. Ahmed Yerima’s poems he turned into a Korean song.
8. In 2004, he was one of the nominees in U.K. Songwriting competition, the only African in his category.